I was speaking recently on prophecy. On how the Spirit of God has much to say to us, and how he often does that through words, pictures, dreams and visions. When he does that there’s usually an immediacy about what we receive. It feels like it’s a word in season. A word for now. A word for me or us. Prophecy like this can be really helpful. According to Scripture it should always ‘strengthen, encourage and comfort’ (1 Corinthians 14:3) and it needs testing (1 Thessalonians 5:21).
In my preparation I sensed it was timely to share a word that had been stirring in me for a week or so that’s rather more corporate in nature than I often get. I put it passed a couple of people first and, after more prayer chose to share it at the end of the talk I gave. Here it is:
I sense the Lord wants to say: it’s time for a new movement of the Holy Spirit in our land. Indeed a new renewal movement is coming. It will influence our city, our region and our nation. And we (at The Belfrey) will be part of it.
The work of the Spirit in the 1960s and 70s, of which we were part, was given a name – the name ‘renewal’. This work will be given a similar name. But it will not be the same as the work in the 60s and 70s. The work will be new and fresh. In the same way that the renewal of the church at that time coincided with much change in society, so this new work will coincide with much social and cultural change going on around us.
We have nothing to fear. The Lord is with us. We must be obedient and faithful.
This new renewal will have a number of characteristics, some of which will be:
– wonder at the goodness of God
– deep love for the Bible
– signs and wonders will become more normative
– church will be known for its bold evangelism and sacrificial care for the poor
– many churches will also be known for their joyful celebration and their dancing
– a sharper prophetic culture
– much generous giving – with some people, churches and organisations being given responsibility to steward what will seem like large sums of money for Kingdom activity. (Whereas in the past renewal, there was often embarrassment about stewarding wealth, in this renewal there will be no embarrassment about that)
– a fresh creative appreciation of beauty – of the natural environment and arts (including digital arts)
There is a new renewal coming. A new renewal.
You might like to pray over this and see if it resonates with you. Feel free to feed-back and share comments.